Thursday, March 8, 2012

80%.... 90%.... 99%.... Ding!


I printed out the comb-bound version of my FYP yesterday and my dad had it courier-ed to my supervisor in Kampar.

Beam of light passing through the project - must be a good sign.

In a typically understated manner, I celebrated by walking into the Italy Bakery opposite the printing shop and getting myself a chicken onion bun. Mmmmm… so good..

FYPs are one of those big things in university life; some kind of milestone or rite of passage. Walk on the fiery coals of research and the chief gives you your shiny degree.

People who are doing it will complain. Students who are yet to do it will view it with trepidation, and those who have just finished it will jump for joy, before something else happens, which I will explain later.

Not that I want to make the FYP a bigger deal than it really is. It’s all a matter of perspective. I’ve learned a lot of things in the course of the FYP, one of which is just how big the edifice of academia really is. That is very humbling, and makes study all the more worthwhile. Why not chip some ice off the iceberg of ignorance?

Hmm.

I’ve a problem though. I think I may be having post-FYP syndrome, now that I’m in the post-FYP stage. After accomplishing one of the big goals that have been bugging me for such a long time, I think my drive has evaporated. It’s not a good thing. It doesn’t help that I know my future does not lie in my current workplace either - my mind is ever on Kampar and the work that waits me there.

I still got a month of teaching to go, and I owe it to the students to run really good lessons and evaluate their work thoroughly – whether or not they want it or not.

Well, what can I do about it? I really need to sit still, evaluate my motivations and do this job the best I can. Nobody’s going to praise God for a lazy teacher.
More on the teaching experience next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment

WHAT?