Saturday, March 31, 2012

Schrödinger's Teacher





The night before my first day as a teacher in MIS, 3 months ago, I wrote this in my journal:

“Some people remark that they think I will be a good teacher. Some people say that I will be awesome. Some said that I probably won’t do well and some says it’ll just be plain weird.
Be it positive or negative, such comments are immaterial. The true measure of my ability lies in what takes place in those classrooms that I step into tomorrow. For the meantime, I can be considered both a good teacher, and a bad teacher – whatever! Call me Schrodinger’sTeacher 

3 months on, I find that my resolve is still the same as when I started out – to keep my head low, work hard, and concentrate on how I can do better for these kiddos.

I have now come to the unofficial “end” of my term in Melaka International School. My students from Y7-Y10 have bid me farewell. There has been gifts, cards and a cake – all of which I will remember well, just as I will remember each student.  We’ve taken out farewell photos. My departure has already been officially announced.  

Typically, it is at such a point that I would prefer to leave altogether; I do not like drawn-out farewells. However, I do still have to give a week’s worth of extra classes to prep the Y11 students for their upcoming ‘O’ level examinations.

Some of my Y11 students, taking their 'O' levels in June.
What can I say about the past 3 months? I learned a lot about teaching and even more about life. About parents (and parenting), working life, students, administrative things… you name it.

I will say this though, after 3 months, the jury’s still out on what kind of teacher I will be. The school, my colleagues and most of the students have been very generous in their appraisal, but I know the holes in my approach better than most.

I'm aware that there are ways I have to improve.. It’s not so much a matter of pedagogy as it is of the kind of composure and mentality I can bring to the classroom. When your method is consistently okay, it’s your manner that makes or breaks learning and teaching.
A few of my Y10 students. What a diverse bunch!

Thank you MIS! For the sake of whoever my students are one day, I hope to be the best teacher I can be.  If I ever be become an excellent teacher, it will not have been possible without the chance I had to serve in your school.


p.s. The photos were taken during the final week of school, when many students already returned to their home countries - not that I only wanted to take photos with a few :P

No comments:

Post a Comment

WHAT?